This post goes out to all of my moms working and managing your home.
There are times when I feel like I totally got this and other times that I just sit and stare at my home with no energy whatsoever. Usually, I do an amazing job keeping up with the cleaning and organizing and dinners, but it seems to go in waves. I want to be consistent. There are weeks where the laundry is washed/dried folded and put away almost immediately, and there are weeks where a load or two sit in a basket staring at me until I finally take the bundle of wrinkled clothing and finally get the energy to put it away. Same with cooking. Dinner, for the most part, is taken care of every night of the week, but we still have those days when we order out or drive to McDonald’s.
Let’s rewind a little. I’m a mother of three a wife and a waitress. Some days when I walk in that door, it’s over. I’m done! Hamburger Helper it is. That’s when I get annoyed. I’ll usually make dinner get the dishes in the sink and then it’s “tubby time, oh” and I eventually piddle around a little longer and go to bed. But that’s not me! I think to myself there’s got to be a better way! I do not like going to bed with a messy home and dishes in the sink Oh yea, I do not like waking up to last night’s disaster in the kitchen” so I decided to do something about it. I did what most of us do. I went online and read some upbeat blogs about organizing and cleaning. Oh, yea and don’t forget meal planning 101. Is it me or is that shit insane??
That shit is not insane!
And it works. What I have learned for myself and that is after taking a few courses which I’m still actually stuck on is….
1. Always no matter how tired you are Put away those dishes. Keep a sink full of hot soapy water. When you finished with a plate throw it in the sink. It feels so good when the sink is empty as well as the dishwasher.
2. Throw a load in the washing machine every night. Laundry sucks, but it has to be done. Obviously, pick a day to do the bulk of it, so you have it under control. Make smaller loads. This helps me a lot. When I know that there isn’t an enormous amount to put away I am more likely to grab it out and put it away immediately. It won’t take much time at all I promise.
3. The one touch system. If it’s in your hands, put it where it goes. It helps.
4. Keep a mop bucket handy. I’ve got a hurricane mop, and it’s awesome. I’ll fill it up with hot water and run it over the floors here and there until my actual cleaning day.
A few other things that help me as well…
– As soon as you wake, make your bed. You will love walking in the door after work and seeing these small but satisfying tasks already done.
– This goes along with the laundry part up above but if you have small children (you do a ton of laundry) throw an extra load in the wash in the morning before you leave. Trust me it helps because all you have to do is toss it in the dryer when you arrive home and Put it away!
– Lay Everyone’s clothes out the night before. Pull them out of the drawers and set them neatly aside, so you’re not standing there trying to figure out what The heck all (3) or more of you are going to wear in the morning. That shit takes time, and we’re trying to save time here y’all. 😉
– Get gas the night before. If you know your low, stop and get gas. Never trust that you will have time in the morning (I’m experienced at this one) can you tell?
Most importantly, don’t be hard on yourself.
If your home isn’t spotless and your meals aren’t planned out for the next seven years (exaggerating a little) that’s ok! You are the one living your life. Things happen. Routines and schedules change. I’m learning this now because I paid for online courses (a pretty penny too) on how to manage my home and I’m learning that even with all these tools and all of this information that I’m trying to accomplish that sometimes my life just doesn’t work like that. I caught myself feeling like a failure because I paid for this course (so I have to do this exactly how they say to) NO! Life isn’t that easy for some of us. I’m dropping off two kids every morning at two different places before I can even start my work day. When I arrive to work, I feel like my days already half over.
I hope this helped a little. When I started this blog, I thought I had so much to share with the world 🌎. I thought I could help others by implementing my daily routines and sharing my techniques on organizing and products and hacks that I feel help my family and myself walk out that door every morning calm and collective without having to rush because you were prepared. Thanks for stopping by!